According to the personal finance website WalletHub, Arizona has the most severe laws against driving under the influence. These laws bring with them harsh penalties that range from fines to jail time.
Arizona’s Harsh Penalties
The metrics considered in the study included DUI arrests and crashes, the BAC threshold, DUI fine and jail time, license suspension, and further penalties. The study also took into account supplementary DUI laws such as those regarding repeat offender and open containers, as well as laws on alcohol exclusion that limit treatment.
The findings of the study regarding Arizona include:
- Arizona is the toughest state on first offenders. It was the first state to make interlock device installation mandatory for first offences. These devices are required to be installed on first offenders’ vehicles for twelve months. In addition, there is a mandatory jail time of ten days.
- For second offenders, Arizona imposes mandatory jail time of ninety days, in addition to fines and penalties, as well as mandatory community service.
- For subsequent offences, a DUI is treated as a class 4 felony, with a corresponding increase in penalties. For instance, mandatory jail time for offenders is a minimum of ninety days.
- Arizona also imposes driver’s license suspensions of ninety days to one year for first offenders and one year for second offences.
- There are also mandatory counselling and screening requirements.
- The state has a seven-year look-back period. This means that if an offender has incurred any DUI within a seven-period, even if it is in another state, the state can count it against the driver when determining how to file felony charges.
- Arizona also uses sobriety checkpoints as well as having stipulations on child endangerment for DUI laws.
Why You Need an Experienced Attorney to Handle Your DUI
These findings serve to highlight how seriously Arizona takes drunk driving. The state imposes these penalties in an attempt to deter DUIs by highlighting how stringent the laws are.
This is why a person who has been arrested for a DUI in the state needs the services of an experienced DUI lawyer. A DUI conviction results in the loss of your driving privileges as well as your freedom, in addition to the harsh fines and other penalties you’ll face.
Attorney Gary L. Rohlwing is an attorney who has substantial experience, having handled more than 3,500 cases over the course of his career. His practice areas include DUI, misdemeanors, felonies, juvenile cases, and domestic violence.
If you are charged with a DUI, he will work to ensure that you get the best possible outcome and avoid some of the harsher penalties associated with the charge. He will help you through the legal process to ensure that your rights are protected.
He will study your case to ensure that you get the best defense. This may mean accepting a plea deal to get a reduced penalty or having to go to trial.
If you have been charged with a DUI, need a defense, you can get in touch with the law offices of Attorney Gary L. Rohlwing at (623) 937-1692. Your initial consultation with Atty. Rohlwing is free and he handles all his cases personally.
A Study Finds Arizona Has the Toughest DUI Laws in the US was originally published on http://www.criminal-duiattorney.com/blog/
Law Offices of Gary L Rohlwing
7112 N 55th Ave
Glendale, AZ 85301