Salvatore “Sammy the Bull” Gravano was released early from federal prison in September 2017. He will be on federal parole for the rest of his life. The following sources provided the information below: “Mafia Turncoat Gets 20 Years for Running Ecstasy Ring” by Andy Newman, New York Times, Sept. 7, 2002; “Ex-Mafia hit man “Sammy the Bull” Gravano now out of prison”, by Walter Berry, Associated Press, Sept. 22, 2017. Mr. Gravano, a former member of the Gambino crime family, confessed to murdering 19 people. He became a government informant in 1991 and helped convict 39 mobsters. He served 5 years in prison for the murders. When he was released, he entered the federal witness protection program and moved to Arizona in 1994. He left the program in 1995, wrote a book, and owned a restaurant and swimming pool installation company in Phoenix. In 2000, he was arrested in connection with an Ecstacy trafficking ring in Phoenix that reportedly earned him about $500,000.00 per week. He was also accused of buying 40,000 Ecstacy pills from a drug gang in New York. He was supposed to be sentenced on the New York federal charges on September 11, 2001, but it was delayed because of 9/11. He was sentenced to 20 years in federal prison on September 6, 2002. By that time, he had already pled guilty to ten Arizona felony charges. On October 30, 2002, He was sentenced to the following prison terms on the following charges in Maricopa County Superior Court with credit for time served of 979 days. All of the prison terms were made concurrent with his New York federal prison term:
- Conspiracy to Commit the Sale of Dangerous Drugs. 19 years.
- Participating in a Criminal Syndicate. 19 years.
- Illegal Enterprise. 15 years.
- Offer to Sell or Transfer Dangerous Drugs, to wit: MDMA, also known as Ecstasy. 19 years.
- Money Laundering in the Second Degree. 15 years.
- Use of Wire or Electronic Communication in Drug Related Transaction (2 counts). 7.5 years.
- Misconduct involving Weapons. 7.5 years.
- Possession of Marijuana. 2.25 years.
- Money Laundering. 15 years.
Law Offices of Gary L Rohlwing
7112 N 55th Ave
Glendale, AZ 85301